The truth is, sometimes we think we are being positive, but we’re not. We may say positive things, but we don’t think them or feel them inside. We may feel happy after a conversation when the other person only hears negativity in our words.
I always ask for others to warn me if I’m going down this path. I’m super sensitive to this, as there are some in my accorded family who are incredibly negative. They believe they are being very positive, but everyone sees them as a negative force. Their children, sisters and brothers avoid their phone calls because of their negative draining ways.
Being positive or negative can really impact your career. According to energy healers, “Positive thoughts have a high-positive charge that low-frequency negative thoughts cannot penetrate.”
It’s like that saying “fake it ‘til you make it.” When you are positive, smiling and hopeful, you’re creating a pattern that can’t help but become authentic. You’re also building a shield to deflect negative energy. What a great asset to your career advancement journey.
If you see the benefits of positivity, as they are enumerable, then here are a few ways to keep the power coming:
- Create a positive environment. Surround yourself with people who are positive, or avoid the ones who aren’t. Decorate your space with uplifting images and quotes and always grab a little fresh air to enhance your mood.
- Work on positive meditation. Don’t ruminate on negative things. Learn to let go and quickly fill that thought space with something positive. Try meditating on a positive phrase until your subconscious grabs hold of it and makes it a reality.
- Accept criticism thoughtfully. When you change your perspective and behavior from criticism and pointing out faults to illuminating possibilities you’ll flip the switch to positivity. The best success stories are riddled with criticisms. You know that you’re getting positive attention when you’re making enough waves for someone to offer their “sage” advice.
- Know that it’s temporary. Despite the fact that it may feel like the world is closing in around you, it’s temporary. Despite the fact that it feels like there’s no hope for tomorrow, it’s temporary. You have to have faith that what is happening is not permanent but character building.
- Pay it forward. By uplifting others, you will uplift yourself. Positivity begets positivity. When you spread the love, karma will send some your way.
Kim Monaghan, PCC, RYT, CPBS is the owner of KBM Coaching & Consulting LLC, a boutique Human Resources Consulting and Career Coaching Firm serving a national clientele.